Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Collapse of Appreciation.

Today I was leaving work, threw out the trash, put my bag in the car and was turning left onto Colorado Blvd. Glancing at my gas tank on E, while simultaneously passing the only two gas stations (on the same corner) before the expressway entrance. I swore to myself a bunch then kept on driving, squinting hard, to encourage my visual memory to tell me there was another gas station up ahead. I really didn’t feel like having to turn around dealing with all these awkward corners and gas station parking lots. Everyone getting off work, rushing and cutting people off as if its their last day on earth. Unfortunately that’s everyday driving in Los Angeles. So anyway, I come over a slight hill passing Target on my left and what could be a sign for a gas station begins to come into view. As I approach, it becomes more clear that it indeed is! What throws me a bit is the fact that it is also a giant car wash and there is a sign just above the word “Gas Station”, that reads “ Full-Service.” I am not sure what this means, I was born in 1986 and my entire existence as a human I have never seen a full service gas station. Not even in the smallest towns down south I have driven through. I pull in following the arrows as directed, I turn off my car, proceed to get out and pump, when a man approaches me and asks cash or credit? I answer him and he begins to pump my gas. Well now I’m standing there awkwardly with my car door half open and my credit card in my hand, not entirely sure what is happening. I cautiously and attentively sit down on my drivers side seat, keeping the door ajar, just in case I need to do something. This very kind gentlemen who has already blown my mind by pumping my gas for me, is now cleaning my windows. I’m not talking like the homeless folks  in Chicago, that wait for you at the 290 exit ramp with dirty newspapers for towels, and god know what in a spray bottle, and without your permission start aggressively smearing your windows in hopes of a tip. I’m talking if there were a college specifically dedicated to car windshield cleaning, this man graduated with a masters degree. He even had a little tool in his pocket to scrap the dirt or poop chunks off the glass, he did his job with such grace and perfection. The nozzle clicked as he was finishing up the back window, he hung it back up closed the gas tank door and gave me my total. I signed for my gas and just so happened to have a couple bucks cash in my wallet so I folded it and handed it to him along with my receipt. He looked at the bills I had just handed him and looked at me in disbelief, a large smile creeping across his face. “Oh, Thank You!” he said with total surprise. I asked him about the carwash prices “tomorrow is $1.00 off”  he says. Safe to say that’s where I will be tomorrow and hopefully I can see my friend again. 

There is no better feeling in the world than appreciation, be it from a friend, a co-worker, boyfriend, wife, sister, cousin, parent, customer. We are so quick to take things for granted, we are so undeserving. I have been to many restaurants or bars where I get the receipt and there is a tip line and I think to myself “Why?” These self serve, seat yourself, order at the counter places that keep popping up everywhere, why am I tipping you for bringing my food to my table. I’d rather be tipping the cook back there doing the work, or the busboy that’s cleaning up my mess.  The man that pumped my gas and cleaned my windows restored my faith in humanity. If only for an hour or a day, until some ungrateful asshole takes it away again, at least its something. I will take working hard for something any day, it’s a irreplaceable feeling to earn what you have. Appreciating what you have, because you worked hard for it, not because someone just gives it to you. Having the patience to wait for your dream, pay your dues, climb the ladder as they say. Doing your job well and better than your co-workers because you are better than them, a better person - any asshole can do the bare minimum. Those with integrity, those who are honest and those that work hard, that’s who I want to be around. And I’m not tipping these other dicks for doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment