Thursday, April 2, 2015

The American Dream

The American dream isn't exactly what it used to be. Job security, a white picket fence, two kids, health insurance and a retirement package aren't what I am after these days. What I am after is being able to make a living doing something I love to do, something that challenges my creative talents and my intellect. Sure, all those other things would be nice but I don't need them like I do the latter. I've thought many times about going back to school and getting a degree in something that brings more stability and reliability say – maybe a Veterinarian Technician, I love animals. Then I picture myself in scrubs working everyday 9-5 having to tell people their pets are sick and I just can't do it. Sometimes I wish I had a different outlook on life, that I could work a job only because it pays well. Live nice and comfy, never have to worry about paying bills on time or planning for vacations, bur I just can't find the point in that. 

I truly and completely feel if you keep at whatever it is you love, you will only find success. When you're happy and perusing a passion you believe in and admire, you will only be greeted with accomplishment. There aren't always degrees or universities out there to teach you what you need to know or guide into the direction that's right for you. I've never taken to a classroom, I learn much more from travel, people, dogs, food, nature, beauty, weather, history. My life is my university I'm not necessarily looking for the end, just trying my best to enjoy the journey. It's difficult to think you are following the right path when you can't make your car payment and you don’t feel you've made any financial progress, but it’s important to set goals and follow through. You must have discipline and self motivation, work with no end in sight, work to attain your goals and keep going. 

Embrace the struggle, hold onto the chaos, take comfort in the fact that one day we will look back and laugh. These gray and rainy patches of our lives that visit somewhat often, cannot last forever. If we are lucky enough to have found someone to walk next to in this strange world, we should be grateful and remember through all the bullshit, in a way, we have already made it. Friends, family, pets, relationships, that’s what will get us through the cruel torturous pranks our environment will play on us, well that and alcohol. It isn’t going to be easy and if it is you should be worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment